Franz MITTENDORFER, born on September 10, 1903 in St. Georgen near Vöcklabruck, was a Jehovah’s Witness, a bricklayer by profession, and married to Theresia, née Höfner, who owned the house at Landstraße 15 in Itzling-Ost, where the WEGSCHEIDER family also lived.
The 36-year-old Franz MITTENDORFER, who refused military service for religious reasons at the beginning of World War II, was arrested on September 14, 1939, sentenced to death by the Reich War Court on November 24, 1939, and beheaded on January 6, 1940 in the Berlin-Plötzensee penitentiary.1
Franz MITTENDORFER’s wife Theresia, who was arrested on November 24, 1939 and interned in the Ravensbrück women’s concentration camp until February 5, 1940, returned to Salzburg and died here in 1999.
1 On January 6, 1940, four more Jehovah’s Witnesses from the province of Salzburg were executed in Belin-Plötzensee: Johann Ellmauer, Gottfried Herzog, Johann Nobis and Franz REITER; they were followed by Matthias Nobis on January 26, 1940.
With the two Salzburgers Johann PICHLER and Josef WEGSCHEIDER, who were shot in Glanegg, there are eight conscientious objectors for reasons of faith who have since been rehabilitated.
Laid 22.08.2007 at Salzburg, Landstraße 15