Dr. Karl SCHUCH was born in Tepliz (Teplice) — in what was then part of Austria-Hungary, but which became Czechoslovakia in 1918 and is now the Czech Republic) – on January 2, 1880.

He was an unmarried Catholic veterinarian and was a veterinary inspector in Vorarlberg and Tirol before he took a similar post in Salzburg in 1915. At first he lived with his older brother Johann SCHUCH, who was a railway inspector in Salzburg, and finally at 16 Ignaz-Harrer-Straße in the Lehen neighborhood.

Dr. Karl SCHUCH retired as a veterinary inspector and became a patient in the Salzburg State Asylum in October 1939.
He was one of the 82 patients who were deported from there to the Castle Hartheim killing center near Linz on April 17, 1941 – where they were all murdered.

As with all the other victims of the Nazis’ secret »T4«1 program, the death of this 60 year old man was never recorded in the Salzburg police registration files.

His brother, who was also retired, left Salzburg during the war years.

1 It was called »T4« because its Berlin headquarters were located at Tiergartenstraße 4.
Those mainly responsible for the murders of the sick in Salzburg: Dr. Friedrich Rainer as Reichsstatthalter, Dr. Oskar Hausner as head of the Gaufürsorgeamt, Dr. Leo Wolfer as head of the Landesheilanstalt and Dr. Heinrich Wolfer as head of the hereditary biology department of the Landesheilanstalt (today’s Christian Doppler Clinic).


  • Salzburg city archives
  • Schloss Hartheim Learning and Remembrance Center
Author: Gert Kerschbaumer
Translation: Stan Nadel

Stumbling Stone
Laid 14.07.2015 at Salzburg, Ignaz-Harrer-Straße 16

<p>HIER WOHNTE<br />
JG. 1880<br />
DEPORTIERT 17.4.1941<br />
ERMORDET 1941</p>
Photo: Gert Kerschbaumer

All stumbling stones at Ignaz-Harrer-Straße 16